Holdfast-The Definitive Shitpost

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More details

• Holdfast-The Definitive Shitpost

I forgot that I was asked to put a thing on the site that actually discusses/details Holdfast, so here it is. (even though approximately 100% of you have made up your minds on the game already)

The Gameplay

The gameplay is overall pretty great. Most of the mechanics are good, the controls are tight and generally it feels well thought out. With one exception. We'll narrow it down into some sections.

1) Melee
      Getting the bad out of the way first, since melee is pretty vital for a lot of NW fans. It's as bad as people make it out to be. Well, sort of. Essentially the main problems with the melee boil down to:
      -There is a pause between release the attack button and attacking. The timing of bayonet stabs in particular is very off, but is clearly taken from the system in the L'Aigle mod for Warband. The pause is something that is very hard to get used to.
      -Hitboxes are strange, and seem to be either hyper-specific or borderline random. Where you stab someone, as well as the direction or distance from which you stab them seems to be meaningless.
      -Blocking is also not as tight as in warband, however because of the pause between attacks and the huge windups it's incredibly easy. If you could block in warband, you can block in HF. You'll still die though, just due to the unresponsive blocking as opposed to the lack of skill.
      -Animations for the melee are somewhat odd too, particularly with officers and swords.
      -All units are now essentially "strong" in melee since melee boils down to a massive spamfest and whoever can handle the highest mouse sensitivity wins; no more rifles avoiding melee combat or bayonets leading charges.

2) Gunplay
      It's great. No complaints here whatsoever. Each gun really does have a different feel to it, and the bullet drop mechanics are a great case of "easy to learn, difficult to master." The gunplay fits well to NW gameplay, with volleys by far being the most effective way to attack using muskets, with skirmishing being extremely effective with rifles/lights. That being said, I will say that I don't think support units should have pistols other than perhaps the surgeons; musicians with pistols was extremely fun but pistols almost always being a 1 shot kill makes musicians prone to just try and fight as opposed to buffing.
      Otherwise, absolutely no issues with the gunplay. Looks and feels great.

3) Naval
      It's a fucking blast and the only complaint I have is that there aren't more boats, but that doesn't really matter since a populated or even semi populated naval session is extremely fun. Small and big ships both have their strengths and weaknesses; 2-3 two-gun boats could make short work of 1 massive boat if used well. Even just using the blank "open waters" map is very fun, and the naval is an absolute blast to play, particularly now that they've polished some of the rougher corners. I cannot overstate how much fun it is to be running around frantically loading cannons as you run alongside another big enemy ship and you hear the volley of cannons and watch your mast get blown to shit. Incredible fun, to be quite honest a small part of me almost wishes HF had just been a standalone naval game with no ties to NW because I'd probably have bought it on that merit.

4) General Content
      Units are lacking somewhat. No more bayern/freikorp/blackwatch etc but rather units are just split into classes; line, light, rifle, guards. There are support units, including multiple musician units, a carpenter (sapper) and a surgeon. Currently all have team-helping functions except for the carpenter. It's serviceable but the lack of distinct unit types can make it a pain to do non-regimental stuff, since officers all look the same. There are also no specific arty units, and of course no cavalry or rockets. Cavalry and rockets HAVE been confirmed to be added, but my friend also told me he'd pay me back that tenner once but I don't have it NOW so I'm not going to be happy about it until I do. Content therefore is somewhat lacking, it does get somewhat tiresome having only 2 factions with only 4 or so actual proper combat units each.

5) Maps
      The maplist is an okay size, but considering that they're split between naval and land maps it's a bit "meh." The ones that are there are pretty good, I've only seen one massively exploitable feature and it has more to do with the bad melee system than the map itself. The addition of a map-editor is an absolute must in the short term if they want to have a single shred of hope.
      The Naval Siege maps are the most interesting, as they combine land terrain and fixed arty with naval vessels and mobile arty.
      Land maps are mostly fine, one is basically a carbon copy of "river crossing" from NW however.

6) Graphics and Sound design
      Both are great. I love the art style and the game can look beautiful, especially in certain lighting. The sound design really brings it home; it's incredibly immersive and satisfying. Arty on Naval is particularly good sounding, with every shot having massive impact with that sound against the ships.

Overall, I'd say it's a *good* game with a lot of potential, but not one I'd say is worth buying just yet.

Now...onto the other bit.

The Developers and the Community

The developers are somewhat incompetent and are starving their own community, gobbling up all the players onto one of their 5 or so "official servers" which are essentially 100 or so people running around like headless chickens. The server list is so utterly dreadful that when we attempted to host an event on NRP, we barely hit 50 players and when I hopped on the official servers (several of which had 100+) I was met with people who thought that they WERE on the NRP event; likely due to the fact that from the get go the developers promised NRP (and I'd bet many other people) "official" servers which has so far turned out to be an utter lie.

I reckon they released the game far, far too early and have done shit all to support the community beyond the 400 or so retards who mess around on their official servers every day. The worst thing is I don't even think they're scammers; I don't even think this was a quick cash grab or typical early access scam, but an actual dedicated and dearly-held product which has been so absolutely and utterly bungled that I will genuinely be surprised to see it prosper. I truly hope they realise that the only hope their game has is the community and NOT the hordes of regiments that they gave keys to, because if we have learned anything from NW it's that FSE Regiments/Regiments that don't actually play on the servers they own absolutely can not and must not be allowed to run popular servers.

NRP's status on Holdfast

Pretty fucked, but still working on it. I don't really know what the 59th's plans are, they seem to do their own events and occasionally a few of them will hop on NRP when it's populated-usually not adhering to rules-but as was the case with NW they won't be getting special status or treatment unless they drive me and the rest of the dedicated staff out through silliness which as we've seen before is a bit of a daft thing to do.
      We have been the most populated non-regimental public server, but that doesn't take a whole lot these days since the serverlist is 5 or so populated official servers and then us in the middle of 70 utterly empty servers.
      NRP CAN work on Holdfast with good population, and the community seem to have taken to it but many are let down by Holdfast as I am and so aren't sold on regular play.
      I've slapped together a system of two weekly events which I hope to formalise in the next 2 weeks, which will let us approach the server as a "server in development" as opposed to acting as though it's at the peak; the idea that the community can come on for an hour or two maximum each week to "help us develop" or "test new additions" will hopefully negate some of the damage done by developer incompetence.
      Therefore of course the NW server will stay up, which has actually been reaching relatively okay population from time to time thanks to the recent efforts of Presidente to breathe some life into it in the form of revitalised staff.

I'll continue to shill and support the server on Holdfast in the hope that it succeeds, but more out of a desire for NRP on Holdfast to be a success if Holdfast starts gathering speed to avoid losing the community to minisiege-tier faggots or some regimental autists. I'll also be advocating for the support of the old server but obviously Holdfast will take precedence to me until I myself see it as a totally lost cause at which point who gives a shit what happens, it's not like we have enough regular NRP users to spawn a memethread. I will also continue to shit down the throat of retards who believe that NRP not doing so hot on Holdfast is a good thing, something that was bound to happen or in general anything other than a pretty sad outcome.

Regardless, there you have it. Holdfast. It's okay, sort of.

"but scandy, who is KING"
      I'm HA of NRP, with shockwave and presidente being """"managers"""" since the advisor ranked sort of stopped existing
      Presidente is pretty much 100% in charge of things over on NW because I'm just not on it enough to feel comfortable claiming some sort of memey "rule" over it. We have an admin team of mostly ex-NW NRP admins but until the ball is rolling most of the HF work is done by the executive shitters.
      Pew is obviously around but taking a well earned break from all this faggotry.

literalretard wrote:

Delete this please.

KL4R1NO the Politically Correct wrote:

@Scandypandy, I heard that McKinsey is out recruiting its next batch of management consultants. With the way you turned NRP around, you might be in for a decent shot.

Post was edited 2 times, last by rip ().

• To ward off any faggots who will swoop in to have a go at Pew for any reason (since that seems to be popular recently), let us all remind ourselves that despite the fact he stopped enjoying the servers/games they were on pretty much entirely long ago, he has continually bankrolled them (as well as this site I believe) while continually supporting Presidente financially whenever asked in regards to paying for the NW server.

It is for this reason that there is no 59th stuff on any of my guides or content created for NRP, nor on the Discord, nor on the admin team.
      Still awaiting the straw that broke the camel's back which will finally result in me getting thrown the fuck off the site for good, I maintain that while there are several very lovely bois in the regiment (we love you tim xxxx) they absolutely shouldn't and won't be given any special treatment at least until they stop acting like faggots to Pew.

As long as I am """"HA"""" NRP will continue to take the approach of supporting new or smaller regiments as well as the public scene as opposed to being a recruiment machine for NRP, since NRP has been paid for, run and preserved for over a year now by people who either
      -Aren't in the 59th
      -Don't give a shit about the 59th
      -Are treated like shit by the 59th

"but scandy, why post this extra needless shit that might cause drama?"
      Because I want to make it abundantly clear that the second NRP becomes more about regimental faggotry than public-based fun and community support that I want no part of it and nor will a massive bulk of its regular players, most of whom join for fun and banter as opposed to uppity regimental sorts.

No harm to anyone specifically in the regiment, but to put it bluntly if you're going to waggle your e-dick around I'd suggest lifting a finger to help the one thing making your regiment relevant before doing so.

Show Spoiler
      don't actually though since in my experience a massive majority of 59th veterans who show up and decide to admin/play are unbearable faggots who think they're hot shit for wearing autism tags and admin wise I'm turning away anyone I haven't personally worked with, 59th or not (with obvious exceptions such as Lady Legend etc)

literalretard wrote:

Delete this please.

@Scandypandy, I heard that McKinsey is out recruiting its next batch of management consultants. With the way you turned NRP around, you might be in for a decent shot.

Post was edited 2 times, last by rip ().

• Shockwave wrote:

No one from 59th uses this forum lol.
      Should really just start removing their names from things they don't give a fuck about/contribute to

like I've already been doing from all guides/admin groups/the discord etc etc etc

A secular 32 country server

literalretard wrote:

Delete this please.

• <3 u scandy

Honestly the separation between the day-to-day business of running the 59th, and running the two 59th-hosted servers, is part of the reason as to why they lasted as long as they did.

Muh_Dick wrote:

KL4R is like Santa Claus, nobody knows exactly who he is or where he comes from but he shows up once a year and gives us kids presents, then vanishes into the night.
    • NRP HA is an Irish Nationalist
      NRP Final Battle memory photo is of french units

JUST

literalretard wrote:

Delete this please.

• can we call NW NRP just NWRP and stop being autists about it though

and holdfast NRP can just be you know
      NRP

also 59th high command are cuties but they also never come to events so u get stuck with fags like summit leading and u get aids and fucking die from it
      Show Spoiler
      <02:09:55> "Wegian": i kissed a gay guy btw
      <02:10:05> "Wegian": at new years eve
      <02:10:11> "Wegian": im straught tho
      <02:10:14> "Wegian": i think
      <02:10:22> "Wegian": he was good at kissing tho
      <02:10:33> "Wegian": better then most girls

22:21 - ✪ SCANDYPANDY ✪: I'm not really a sexual goy but when I was like
      22:21 - ✪ SCANDYPANDY ✪: uh
      22:21 - ✪ SCANDYPANDY ✪: fuck I dunno like 16 maybe
      22:21 - ✪ SCANDYPANDY ✪: on about 2 tabs of acid after pride
      22:21 - ✪ SCANDYPANDY ✪: at a house party
      22:21 - ✪ SCANDYPANDY ✪: his dick was tiny but it was okay I guess
      22:21 - ✪ SCANDYPANDY ✪: save ulster from sodomy
      22:21 - ✪ SCANDYPANDY ✪: funny story tho bc current gf
      22:21 - ✪ SCANDYPANDY ✪: beat him up once
      22:21 - ✪ SCANDYPANDY ✪: top meme
    • Pew Pew You're Dead wrote:

can we call NW NRP just NWRP and stop being autists about it though

and holdfast NRP can just be you know
      NRP

also 59th high command are cuties but they also never come to events so u get stuck with fags like summit leading and u get aids and fucking die from it
      Yes. NWRP can be NW RP and Holdfast can be NRP.

And true, for the most part the higher ups of the 59th are good goys.

literalretard wrote:

Delete this please.

• This thread isn't memey enough. Maybe some writefagging can solve that!

Step 1: A Timeline! Have an inside look to some of the dankery that lead to the current state of affairs.

literalretard wrote:

Delete this please.

• Scandypandy wrote:

This thread isn't memey enough. Maybe some writefagging can solve that!

Step 1: A Timeline! Have an inside look to some of the dankery that lead to the current state of affairs.

>missing out the fact that ewoksson deleted everything from the steam group and the mapguides etc
      Show Spoiler
      <02:09:55> "Wegian": i kissed a gay guy btw
      <02:10:05> "Wegian": at new years eve
      <02:10:11> "Wegian": im straught tho
      <02:10:14> "Wegian": i think
      <02:10:22> "Wegian": he was good at kissing tho
      <02:10:33> "Wegian": better then most girls

22:21 - ✪ SCANDYPANDY ✪: I'm not really a sexual goy but when I was like
      22:21 - ✪ SCANDYPANDY ✪: uh
      22:21 - ✪ SCANDYPANDY ✪: fuck I dunno like 16 maybe
      22:21 - ✪ SCANDYPANDY ✪: on about 2 tabs of acid after pride
      22:21 - ✪ SCANDYPANDY ✪: at a house party
      22:21 - ✪ SCANDYPANDY ✪: his dick was tiny but it was okay I guess
      22:21 - ✪ SCANDYPANDY ✪: save ulster from sodomy
      22:21 - ✪ SCANDYPANDY ✪: funny story tho bc current gf
      22:21 - ✪ SCANDYPANDY ✪: beat him up once
      22:21 - ✪ SCANDYPANDY ✪: top meme
    • KL4R1NO the Politically Correct wrote:

why am I increasingly getting a sense that Scandy is just looking for excuses to write about stuff?
      I don't even like video games

Pew Pew You wrote:

>missing out the fact that ewoksson deleted everything from the steam group and the mapguides etc
      Stop nitpicking my shitposts

literalretard wrote:

Delete this please.